currently in the stockroom
Frank is an award winning artist who holds a degree in Fine Art (Painting), an Associate Diploma in Art (Wood Design) and a Post Graduate Diploma in Education. Frank is an award winning artist who holds a degree in Fine Art (Painting), an Associate Diploma in Art (Wood Design) and a Post Graduate Diploma in Education.
He has continued his painting practice since graduation in 1986 while supporting a growing family by working part time in a variety of industries, including Education.
Frank has exhibited his Paintings and Drawings extensively with Albury Art Gallery acquiring 6 works on paper in 2011. In the nineties Frank ran the canvass stretching workshop at Art Stretchers, Melbourne, where he learned the craft of canvass stretching for the professional artist. This included oversized custom made stretchers for artists such as Arthur Boyd (4x4m), huge folding stretchers, and onsite assembly and stretching jobs of oversized paintings at client’s premises.
Frank’s creative works reflects an over-riding concern for the environment and the question of how an artist fits within the bigger schemes of things. His work is often autobiographical and expresses fears and desires and could be read as, but never quite is, a narrative filled with archetypical symbolism and metaphors alluding to multiple interpretations of meaning.
Frank uses Formalist principles to re-think the nature of Painting and its relevance in a Post-Modern world. This allows him to move between abstract and figurative modes of expression with the ease. Frank sees all his work as proposals for the making of a good image.
Born 1965, The Netherlands (Australian Citizen).
- 1999 The University Of Melbourne, Graduate Diploma Of Education.
- 1993 – 1994 Box Hill College Of TAFE, Associate Diploma Of Arts (Wood Design).
- 1984 – 1986 Ballarat College Of Advanced Education, Bachelor Of Arts (Fineart), majoring in Painting.
- 2017 ‘Cataract Gorge Abstracts’, Wangaratta Performing Arts Centre Foyer
- 2016 ‘Return by Fire’, Art Space Wodonga
- 2015 ‘Looking back before the next show’, Cathy Oddie Contemporary Art Space, Wangaratta.
- 2014 ‘She makes things, he just paints’, Elvery Fine Art Gallery, Chiltern.
- 2010 ‘Key’ Pivotal Galleries, Richmond
- 2008 (July) ‘The revolving door’ Albury Regional Art Gallery NSW.
- 2008 (March) ‘Frank Burgers’ Pivotal Gallery, Richmond.
- 2007 ‘A pretty Mocking’, Wodonga Art Space, Wodonga.
- 2003 ‘25 Gouaches’, Café Chiaro, Bright.
- 1995 ‘Arks and Archetypes’, CASspace Windows, 546-564 Collins Street, Melbourne.
- 1990 ‘One Man Show’, Joan Gough Studio Gallery, South Yarra.
Selected Group Exhibitions, 1989 – Current:
- ‘Reload – back to the 80s- alumni exhibition’ Post Office Gallery, Fed Uni,Ballarat
- Off Centre Gallery, Milawa, 2016-18.
- Sawtooth gallery, Launceston, 2014.
- Improvisations – 6 artists, 6 songs’. Wangaratta Art Gallery, 2013.
- Trinity College Art Exhibition and Acquisitive Art Award, Albury, 2013-15.
- GANEA ‘Across the Arts’, Wangaratta Art Gallery 2013.
- ‘A Child could do it’, Albury Art Gallery, 2012.
- ‘Mining the Archives’, Albury Art gallery, 2011.
- Creating our Tomorrow’, Wangaratta Art Gallery, 2011.
- ‘Paintworks’, Wangaratta Art gallery, 2011.
- Myrtleford acquisitive art prize, 2012, 2013, 2014.
- ‘One for the Road’, final exhibition Pivotal Galleries, Richmond, 2010.
- ‘Warming up’, Wangaratta Art Gallery, 2010.
- GIGS Art gallery, Wodonga, ongoing.
- Finalist, Sunshine Coast Art prize 2009, 2007, Caloundra Regional Art Gallery
- ‘Figure 1’, Pivotal Galleries, Richmond. March 2009.
- Arts Wodonga Hume Building Society Acquisitive art Award, annually since 2005.
- The 2006 Fleming Muntz Art Prize, Albury Regional Art Gallery.
- ’20 perspectives’ Dinner Plain Village 2006, 2007.
- ‘The Memory Project’ Wangaratta Art Gallery, 2005.
- ‘Self Portrait Award exhibition,2005’, Artholes Gallery, Fitzroy.
- ‘Those who can Teach’, Wodonga, 2005.
- Wangaratta Jazz Art award 2002, 2003, 2005.
- Linden Galleries, St Kilda1996.
- ROAR 2, Fitzroy 1995.
- Mornington Peninsula Regional Art Gallery (Works on Paper Acquisitive Exhibition 1995).
- Castlemaine Regional Art Gallery 1993.
- NAVA Windows, City Square, Melbourne 1993.
- ‘ARTSPOST’, Ballarat Artist Co-op Gallery 1992.
- Contemporary Art Society of Victoria (1989-1999)
- 2016 Grant Prize, King’s Valley Art Prize, Whitfield, Judge: Dianne Mangan
- 2015 Trinity College Acquisitive Art Award, Trinity Anglican College, Albury, Judges: Simone Nolan, Gaye Pattison, Steven O’Connor.
- 2006 Fleming Muntz Albury Art prize, Albury regional Art Gallery, Judges: Raymond Arnold, Rita Lazauskas
2002 Wangaratta Jazz-Art 2002 Award, Wangaratta exhibitions Gallery, Judges: Jo Briscomb, Jason Hugonnet
- 1994 “Award For Sculpture”, Victorian Woodworkers Association, Judges; Jenny Zimmer, John McLennon, Simon Lloyd
- 1993 “Highly Commended” CAS Inc Annual Exhibition, Judge; Ron Robertson-Swan
- 1989 “First Prize; Eckersleys Award” CAS Inc Annual Exhibition, Judge; Ken Scarlet
Albury Art Gallery, Trinity Anglican College Albury, DalZotto Wines, private collections
- Illustrated room brochure, ‘Mining the Archives’, Albury Art Gallery
- Illustrated room brochure, ‘Paintworks’, Wangaratta Art Gallery, 2011
- Illustrated Room Brochure, ‘The revolving door’ with essay by Dianne Mangan, Albury Regional Art Gallery
- Illustrated Catalogue, Sunshine Coast Art prize 2009, 2007 Caloundra Regional Art Gallery
- Catalogue, ‘The Memory Project’ Wangaratta Art Gallery
- Artist in Residence, King’s Bridge Cottage, Launceston, 2014
- Judge, Wangaratta Jazz Art Award 2012